Let’s file this under the category of, “Yes, please! I want one!”, as well as, “Really Creepy” in the hands of our Department of Homeland Security and local law enforcers.
Prox Dynamics PD-100 Black Hornet Micro UAV / Drone
In a world of delicate, experimental nano-drones, the Black Hornet is the first operational system deployed. A hand-launched observation drone, it can resist gusting winds, fly for 25 minutes, and travel nearly a mile from its operator. The autopilot can follow GPS coordinates to conduct a preplanned patrol or simply hover and stare. All in a drone that weighs less than 0.6 ounces. – Popular Science
With the race for practical, affordable surveillance drones in high gear, I thought this little guy could serve some interesting purposes for the regular Joe. Several of my friends have large farms and use amateur, bulky octo-copter drones to check on irrigation systems, cattle, fence lines, and more.
In a SHTF situation, this micro UAV could prove invaluable for area recon and intelligence, as well as everyday tasks such as the aforementioned activities, especially with it’s integrated pan & tilt camera.
However, as with any great new innovation that has military uses, it is only being sold to government agencies and organizations, which is a true shame. Either way, here are some additional specs in case you want more information, or perhaps notice a small, buzzing copter near your bedroom window.
• Total Systems Mass less than 1 kg (2 lbs), excluding display
• Dimensions approx. 200 x 85 x 50 mm (8 x 3.5 x 2 inches)
• Rotor Span 120 mm, Mass 16 gr including Camera
• Maximum Speed 10 m/s, Endurance up to 25 minutes
• Digital Data Link, Range 1000 m Line-of-Sight
• GPS Navigation or Visual Navigation through Video
• Autopilot with Autonomous and Directed Modes
• Hover & Stare, Automatic Search Patterns, Preplanned Routes
• Steerable EO Camera (pan/tilt)
• Live Video and Snapshot Images
Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/n2tzle9