Update at 3:20 p.m. ET: MSNBC adds that one gunman is in custody and one is on the loose.
Update at 3:23 p.m. ET: KWTX says Fort Hood officials confirm that a “violent incident” has occured, but offered few immediate details.
Update at 4:20 p.m. ET: Twelve people are dead and 31 wounded after at least two separate shootings at Fort Hood, the Texas Army base. One person is in custody and at least one more is on the loose, reports KCEN-TV in nearby Waco. It’s not clear yet whether the victims and shooters are civilians or members of the military. The post, the largest US Army installation in the world, is on lockdown. The first shooting reportedly took place at a processing unit at the base, and the second at a theater.” The processing post is a center where soldiers are processed before going to or returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.
Update at 4:43 p.m. ET: The FBI said they don’t believe terrorism was involved. The men were reportedly dressed in Army fatigues, but military officials couldn’t confirm that they were Army personnel. New reports from Army commanders are suggesting 12 dead and 31 wounded.
Update at 6:07 p.m. ET: (AP) A soldier opened fire at a U.S. Army base in Fort Hood, Texas on Thursday, unleashing a stream of gunfire that left 12 people dead and 31 wounded. Authorities “killed the gunman” – Now discovered to have only been shot and is in stable condition – and apprehended two other soldiers suspected in the attack. The shooting began around 1:30 p.m., Lt. Gen. Bob Cone said at a news conference. He said all the casualties took place at the base’s Soldier Readiness Center, where soldiers who are about to be deployed or who are returning undergo medical screening.
Update at 6:09 p.m. ET - (AP source) WASHINGTON – A law enforcement official says a shooting suspect at Fort Hood has been identified as Army Maj. Malik Nadal Hasan. The official said Hasan, believed to be in his late 30s, was killed after opening fire at the base. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case publicly.
Update at 7:00 p.m. ET - (NBC) NBC News’ Pete Williams reported that U.S. officials identified the gunman as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, an Army psychiatrist who had been promoted to major in May. A defense official told NBC News that Hasan arrived at Fort Hood in July for his first assignment after completing his psychiatry residency at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, followed by a fellowship in disaster and preventive psychiatry.
Hasan, who was 39 or 40, was scheduled to be deployed to Iraq on Nov. 28, officials said. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, said military officials had told her that Hasan was “pretty upset” about his deployment orders.
Ft. Hood seems to have a sordid past involving ‘shootings’ by soldiers… here are just a few incidents from recent memory.
“(July 20, 2009)–Fort Hood Spc. Armando Ray Baca remained in custody Monday evening after a weekend shooting at a Fort Hood housing area that claimed the life of Spc. Ryan Richard Schlack, 30, of Oshkosh, Wis.”
“There have been several previous deadly incidents at Ft. Hood, including a shooting of one soldier by another at a party in July; a rape and fatal shooting of an Army medic at her apartment near the post 11 years ago; and the murder-suicide of a lieutenant by a soldier in September 2008.” – Fox News
Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/3u8gmnd